Senior Care in Grand Rapids: When is it time?
Posted: 1/25/2019 2:07 PM by
There are many hurdles to overcome when it comes to honestly assessing your parents' needs and taking steps to meet them with a senior care provider in Grand Rapids, MI. For one thing, just acknowledging that your parents aren't entirely fit to care for themselves can be incredibly difficult for everyone involved. Your parents may know that yard work and laundry have gotten harder, but they may not even be fully aware of how their habits have changed and what that could mean for their long-term health and comfort.
How to Tell It's Time for Senior Care
Interim HealthCare of West Michigan has assisted countless families in the local area as they face the question of when to arrange senior care to assist their older loved ones at home. The first step in determining if your parents have reached this stage is to consider certain warning signs that your parents aren't coping as well as they could be.
These signs can include:
- They have trouble moving around, particularly when walking and standing up. You may even see traces on walls and furniture where they've placed their hands for support.
- They seem to lose track of what time it is or where they are, or become confused in the middle of a conversation or a simple task.
- They generally seem down, or their mood shifts dramatically during a visit.
- They repeat the same questions and don't seem to retain important information, including upcoming appointments or medication schedules.
- Their grooming habits and hygiene have declined. You may notice that their hair is messy, or pick up on a bad odor.
- Their living space has gotten noticeably messier, and there may be stacks of unopened mail or newspapers.
- They have bruises and other injuries that they can't account for.
Our Care Services in the Grand Rapids Region
We provide several compassionate home care services in Grand Rapids, Ionia, Big Rapids, and Kalamazoo, including non-medical senior care, respite care for family caregivers, and our HomeLife Enrichment® program to help local seniors thrive. Our mission is to enhance the quality of life that our clients experience each day and provide peace of mind for their families.
If you have questions about senior care or are ready to develop a custom care plan for your loved one in Grand Rapids, call Interim HealthCare of West Michigan today at (616) 575-0216.