Alzheimer's Care in Wausau: Creating Routines and Communicating with Your Loved One
Posted: 6/27/2019 11:58 AM by
Caring for someone with Alzheimer's presents challenges and changes every day. Creating a daily routine and communicating with your loved one can help make each day easier. Our Alzheimer's care in Wausau, WI can also help by providing your loved one with care from experienced caregivers.
Tips for Creating a Routine and Bettering Communication
Developing a daily routine for the care of your loved one can ease their behavior patterns. For example, doing the most treatments or activities when they are cooperative and in a good mood allows you to make the most of the day.
It is important to remember that your daily routine will need to be fluid. A rigid, time-bound routine probably won't work well with an Alzheimer's patient. Every day will be different, so you should be flexible in the routine and intuitive to how they are behaving and feeling that day.
Another way to ease the caregiving routine for an Alzheimer's patient is to effectively communicate with them. Sometimes this is easier said than done. The goal of communication is to achieve a mutual understanding. However, those with Alzheimer's can have difficulty expressing themselves or understanding what you are saying.
Here are a few tips for communicating with your loved one:
- Keep it short and sweet. Talk in simple terms and use a positive tone. Don't speak to them as you would a child; treat them with respect.
- Minimize distractions. During a conversation, turn off the television. Try to allow them to focus solely on you and what you are saying.
- Be attentive and understanding. If your loved one is having trouble expressing themselves, pay attention to their gestures and be as patient as possible.
About Our Alzheimer's Care in Wausau
It may be helpful to bring in a caregiver for your loved one as their disease progresses. At Interim HealthCare of Wausau, we offer specialized care for Alzheimer's patients. Our care includes:
- Administering or assisting with medications
- Personal care
- Creating a safe and calm environment
- Providing relief to family caregivers by helping with home management
Even if you are a full-time family caregiver, we can step in when you need a break from your duties.
Call us today at (715) 842-7707 to learn more about our Alzheimer's care services in Wausau, Stevens Point, and Merrill.