We understand how important it is to make sure our veterans have access to the care and benefits they’ve earned. The VA has several programs to reimburse veterans for home care services based on certain qualification criteria.
The Aid and Attendance Program
An important benefit offered by Veterans Affairs (VA) to veterans, veteran spouses or surviving spouses is the Aid and Attendance program. Aid and Attendance is for applicants who need financial help for in-home care, to pay for an assisted living facility or a nursing home. It is a non-service connected disability benefit, meaning the disability does not have to be a result of service and is paid in addition to a veteran’s basic pension.
To qualify for the Aid and Attendance program, an applicant meet the "3 Ms (Military, Medical, Money) and have served during one of the VA Defined War Periods.
The 3 M’s are:
- Military: Are you a veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran who served at least 90 days on active duty, at least one day during wartime with an honorable or general discharge? (Persian Gulf War veterans must have two years of active duty or the full period of which they were called for active duty.)
- Medical: Do you have a non service-connected medical condition causing you to need assistance with activities of daily living?
- Money: Do you have a net worth at or less than $130,773? (limit established by Congress 12.1.2020) A primary residence and auto are not counted as part of net worth. Ongoing non-reimbursable medical and long-term care expenses may reduce your countable income.
The VA Defined War Periods are:
- World War II: Dec 7, 1941- Dec 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950-Jan 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: Aug. 5, 1964-May 7, 1975. For veterans who served Feb 28, 1961-Aug 5, 1964, must have served "in country" (Vietnam).
- Persian Gulf War: Aug 2, 1990-date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law. Must have served active duty for two years or the full period of which the veteran was called for active duty
Discover how our Veterans Customer Service Representative can help wartime veterans or their surviving spouses get their Aid & Attendance benefit!