Senior Care in San Diego: When is it time?
Posted: 1/28/2019 8:28 AM by
At Interim HealthCare of San Diego, we understand how different the aging process is for all our clients and know all the complicated feelings that senior care can stir for everyone in the family. However, establishing a care plan now can put your parents on the path to greater independence and quality of life, especially if they've been struggling with arthritis, memory loss, or other issues that affect seniors in our area. But how will you and your loved ones know when it's time to take this important step?
Signs to Look For When You See Your Loved Ones
It can be hard to tell when fairly typical signs of aging, like a bit of joint stiffness or lapse in memory now and then, have started to affect your parents' ability to look after themselves on their own. To help determine if your parents are approaching or may have crossed that line, use the following list of behaviors and physical changes to start:
- They don't seem like themselves. Depression, dementia, or a growing frustration with their physical limitations can all impact how your loved ones behave. If they don't want to engage in activities they usually like, show signs of mood swings, or appear generally down, the time has come to consider senior care.
- Their appearance has changed (often for the worse). Whether due to physical problems such as joint pain, or a newly developed indifference, your parents might look messier than you're used to, with wrinkled or stained clothing, stubble, jagged nails, or other signs of poor grooming habits.
- They seem more confused or forgetful. They get lost more in the conversation, forget things that have just been said, miss medical appointments, or lose track of when to take their medications.
- They don't move as freely or easily. They may rely on external support as they walk or take longer to stand up from a seated position. In addition, they may avoid physical activities that have become more difficult.
- Their home and belongings appear uncared for or damaged. Rooms may be dusty and cluttered, broken appliances may be left unfixed, and there may be damage to their vehicle that they can't explain.
Our Senior Care Services in San Diego
Whenever you're ready to learn more about senior care services in San Diego, CA, we're here to answer your questions and schedule a free in-home consultation with your family. Call Interim HealthCare of San Diego today at (858) 576-9501.