Home Health Care Services in Easley: Fall Prevention Tips
Posted: 11/25/2019 10:39 AM by
Falling is a great risk for seniors, as it can lead to serious injury or even death. Unfortunately, falls are often caused by hazards in the home that can be easily fixed. We have put together a few tips to prevent a fall below. With our home health care services in Easley, SC, our caregivers can be on the lookout for hazards in your loved one's home and assist them with mobility.
5 Tips to Prevent Falls
Homes can hold many dangerous items that could cause your loved one to fall. Even commonplace things like stairs and rugs can be hazardous for seniors or those living with disabilities. Luckily, there are some simple fixes for a safer home.
Here are five fall prevention tips:
- Make sure all rugs are non-slip. If rugs are non-negotiable in your loved one's home, you can make them safer by placing a non-slip pad underneath them. You can also purchase rugs that come with a non-slip backing built in.
- Secure loose cords. Check around entertainment centers and lamps for cords that are lying loose on the floor. By coiling these up and either tucking them behind furniture or securing them to the wall, you can make the area safer.
- Use nightlights. If your loved one needs to use the bathroom at night, be sure all walkways are lit with nightlights. You can also use glow-in-the-dark light switches so they can easily turn on the lights.
- Install grab bars. Bathrooms are a frequent fall spot for seniors. Installing grab bars around the tub/shower and toilet can keep them safe while getting up and down, and prevent slipping.
- Make sure stairs have a handrail. If your loved one has stairs in their home, be sure each set has a handrail installed. Whether it's only three steps, or an entire flight, handrails can help them navigate the stairs safely.
Get Started with Our Home Health Care Services in Easley
By getting home health care services, your loved one has a team devoted and committed to ensuring their health, happiness, and safety. Our caregivers can watch for hazardous areas in your loved one's home, as well as help them with any mobility issues they may be having.
Get started with your free in-home evaluation today! Call us at (864) 627-1200 to learn more about our home health care services in Easley, Pickens, Anderson, Spartanburg, and Greenville as well as Cherokee and Oconee Counties.