Google Plus Logo
Home Health Services
Private Duty Nursing
Senior Care Services
Alzheimers & Dementia Care
Home Care For US Veterans
4244 Cahaba Heights Court, Suite 200, Vestavia Hills, AL 35243
Lower Cholesterol with These 5 Lifestyle Choices
Posted: 2/2/2018 1:46 PM by
Cholesterol is a waxy substance that's found in the fats (lipids) in your blood. While your body needs cholesterol to continue building healthy cells, having high cholesterol can increase your risk of heart disease. High cholesterol can be inherited, but it's often the result of unhealthy lifestyle choices, and thus preventable and treatable.
At Interim HealthCare we want everyone including you and you loved ones to live a healthy life. As we age there are many factors that threaten our healthy lives. This includes high cholesterol levels, especially in seniors. But high cholesterol levels can be lowered if you follow these 5 lifestyle choices.
– Losing weight by burning fat is a great way to prevent and lower high cholesterol levels. Losing a couple pounds a month with do wonders for your health and can be help prevent diabetes and prevent further damage to joints.
Eat Heart-Healthy Foods
– Eating heart healthy foods means eating foods that have healthy fats. These foods include avocados, nuts, fish, chia seeds, extra virgin olive oil, and many other delicious foods. Avoiding trans fats and “low fat” labels on food packages is important.
– Exercising every day is important to lower your cholesterol levels. It gets the blood pumping through your body and acts as a health boost for your body. 10 minutes of activity a couple times a day will do the trick!
- If you smoke-stop. Not only can quitting lower your cholesterol, your blood pressure will decrease and as will your risk of heart failure.
Drink Less Alcohol
- While some studies have shown alcohol has a positive affect on HDL levels it isn't enough to warrant the other risks that come from too mich drink -- high blood pressure, heart failure or stroke. Women should limit themselves to one drink a day; men should have no more than two.
Send us your questions or a specific requests. We're here to help.